Sunday, September 03, 2006

How often has my spirit turned to thee!

Yesterday I heard a little story about Saint John of the Cross...that, while he was imprisoned during the Spanish Inquisition, tortured and all that, he wrote love poetry to his captors :)

*

Leave your stepping stones behind, something calls for you.
Forget the dead you've left, they will not follow you.
The vagabond who's rapping at your door
Is standing in the clothes that you once wore.
Strike another match, go start anew
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.
--Bob Dylan

*

Now, some lines from Lines Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey by William Wordsworth (a fabulous name for a poet, I do believe!):

That time is past,
And all its aching joys are now no more,
And all it's dizzying raptures. Not for this
Faint I, nor mourn, nor murmur: other gifts
Have followed, for such loss, I would believe,
Abundant recompence...

And I have felt
A presence that disturbes me with the joy
Of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime
Of something far more deeply interfused,
Whose dwelling is the light of setting suns,
And the round ocean, and the living air,
And the blue sky, and in the mind of man,
A motion and a spirit, that impels
All thinking things, all objects of thought,
And rolls through all things...

Therefore am I still
A lover of the meadows and the woods,
And mountains; and of all that we behold
From this green earth; of all the mighty world
Of eye and ear, both what they half create,
And what perceive...

And this prayer I make,
Knowing that Nature never did betray
The heart that loved her, 'tis her privilege,
Through all the years of this our life, to lead
From joy to joy: for she can so inform
The mind that is within us, so impress
With quietness and beauty, and so feed
With lofty thoughts, that neither evil tongues,
Rash judgements, nor the sneers of selfish men,
Nor greeting where no kindness is, nor all
The dreary intercourse of daily life,
Shall e'er prevail against us, or disturb
Our cheerful faith that all we behold
Is full of blessings...

1 comment:

Bryan said...

mmmmm... wordsworth.

Ha! I just opened my book Moments with Wordsworth and what did I rest upon?

... Tis long. Its on my blog.

:)