Thursday, June 24, 2010

Two or Three Things I Know About Her, a film by Jean-Luc Godard

Decided to post about this film on here. I should post more films, because it would be nice to catalogue and think on them more.
I was really in the mood for taking art things for what they are when I saw this, so despite the fact that it was mainly made up of musings on reality that can often be annoying because they can differ so much from one's own, I took them as they were and tried to experience them, and this ended up being awesome. Eye opening to ways of negotiating reality. I anchored my thoughts while watching to an idea I've been focusing on a lot because it seems to end up being a very fruitful approach to things despite its seeming limitations - how does one live in the modern world? In this vein, I imagine that the protagonist is a lot like the protagonist of The Book of Daniel - struggling and uncertain in the modern world - except that she is French instead of American (and my film watching has taught me that this is a very significant difference in approach to life, the French being a lot more into philosophising at length and living kind of more poetically) and that she hasn't latched on to the external obviously and self consciously fallacious outlet that the American male has.
It was all the greatest things about film to me - the way it just mused along in life, creating beauty and meaning by cutting up words with images in the way of poetry, so that it was full and interesting and Important. Plus I could have sympathy with the protagonist. Plus it was occasionally endearingly obvious, as things often fall to - like it ended with words not obviously related to a zoom out from some modern consumer goods laid out on a lawn. One of my favourite sort of films.

No comments: