Monday, January 15, 2007

Come spin on bridges with meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-e-e just to keep us warm

There is a lesson that it seems is being constantly drilled into me so that I can really learn it, never forget it.
Last night I watched a movie called 2:37. It traces the lives of a few high school students over one school day. And it really made me remember that lesson. That is, that the little judgements we make on people are so very inadequate, and, often, painful. So this is what I want to do now, something I've considered doing for a long time, something I've thought of writing a story about, to try to tell people this...this fact. How inadequate a moment, a single action, and judgement can be in seeing somebody...I remember...I was thinking about this yesterday, I wrote about this yesterday, before even watching the movie...For example, in the movie there is this guy, Steven, "Uneven" Steven, they called him, because he was born with one leg shorter than the other. He was also born with two urethras, one of which he had no control over, so that he would wet himself at school frequently. When he wetting himself, so much crap was thrown at him. Everybody just assumed he was some freak who pisssed his pants, not even considering he had a medical problem, judging him at face value, first thought that came to mind. Then later he was punched for overhearing something he shouldn't have, came out of the toilet, nose all bloodied, and people assumed he had a nosebleed, the retard that he was...All these people in the movie had some private pain, some private reason for doing as they did. It all had a context that made it understandable, but no one stopped to consider what that might be.
There's another movie, Crash. Characters do these things that would generally make you think, just looking at that action, that they were terrible people. But then the film shows more of their lives, more than just that isolated event, and you see that they're not just black and white, flat evil, but have so much more going on there. They have their own pains, sorrows, dreams, lives. There is a mother, sick, near bedridden. Berates her son for being a terrible son, saying he never comes to see her. Her other son, on the other hand, the one that they haven't seen in ages, bought her groceries. But it was the first that did that. There is another guy, a police officer. We first see him pulling over a black couple. He feels up the wife. But then later we see so much more - the father he looks after who has prostate cancer and cannot sleep for the pain. I cross into some dangerous territory here. Perhaps I seem to be excusing his rape because he has 'issues'. Debates have gone on with my friends about issues like this many times. But that's not what I mean. It's just that...well, can't you feel his pain? You don't have to hate the perpetrator out of some idea that it's justice for the victim, because it doesn't help the victim, it just creates more hate in the world. You can't rid the world of hate by hating, can you?
Well, that is a more contentious issue. Back to the simpler original point...There are times I have made judgements on situations that proved to be so wrong, wrong. Like the time I, in my self righteous pride, told a friend to break up with her boyfriend because she didn't like him anyway, was so cruel to him...but then he later would not get back together with her and she was so depressed. And what about all the times I made a judgement and never actually found out I was mistaken?
At work one time, a woman walked past the ticket boxto her firned. The manager asks if she has a ticket. She says yes, then a few seconds later goes to buy one. That manager sneers to me Funny turn of the Englsih language, when yes means no or something along those lines, loud enough for this woman to hear. I move up to the other end of the candybar to serve, and she comes up to me a says how she was just in a huge rush to get here, and drove from far away and that it didn't feel good at all to have someone say something like that. He makes this snide remark without any thought for the reasons she may have been acting that way. And she is hurt. Reminds me of that times when such things have happened to me, how much those inadequate judgements hurt. Or times when people made comments about what sort of person I was, or how i would be when I grew up or something else I knew was not true, was not me, although it seemed was me to an outside observer. It was situations like that that first made me think Is this a feeling I want to cause in others? How can I go on saying such things when I know how inadequate they are, and how they make one feel?
So that's what i want to share with you. Will you consider this? This of the times in your own life when your judgements and the judgements of others have fallen so short of the truth, have done no justice to the bigger picture. Remember the times when this lesson has been put your way, and so bring a little more compassion into the world, a little more love, to help heal the wounds of all.

1 comment:

Bryan said...

I totally know where your coming from, which is amazing considering how hot it is. I've said for a while now that peace is brouht from understanding and respect, two items that go hand in hand. Its something I continually try to apply to my life, and sometihng that I believe has seen me survive in a call centre enviroment where others have failed. The thought that just because this person is the 20th to ask me the same inane question does not mean they are stupid. They've only asked it once. So I breathe, I explain to them the answer, and I move on.

It really makes life a lot easier.

Love.